Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Diarios de motocicleta

Tonight, since it's Wednesday, I went to the film counterpart of my Latin American Lit class. We watched Diarios de motocicleta, or The Motorcycle Diaries, which I've seen before, and it's really one of my favorite movies. It's the story of two friends, Alberto Granado and Ernesto Guevara de la Serna, and their journey from southern Argentina all the way north to the top of Venezuela in 1952. Along the way they encountered hilarious adventures and the serious realities and hardships faced by the indigenous, sick, and poor citizens of Latin America...and all of the things they witnessed helped shape Ernesto's destiny -- helping to lead the Cuban revolution under the name of Che Guevara.

It's a classic "road trip" movie...hilarious, sad, dramatic, and centered on an incredible friendship. It questions social norms and the status quo, and I personally love the added historical component. It's in Spanish but you can watch it with English subtitles. It has a serious amount of profanity, but if you can overlook that, I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment