Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Snorkeling in the pool and LOLPresbyterians

It's been a crazy few days, and I've finally had a couple of hours to catch my breath.

The weekend was awesome. Our (meaning my high school's) football team beat Pleasant, whom we've only beaten once before in 20 years, so that was very exciting. Also, our band has a freaking fantastic halftime show this year. It's space-themed, so it includes epic music from ET, Star Wars, Superman, Star Trek, and more. Everything was really tight and sounded great, and I was proud of all my friends. I realized that after this year, anybody with whom I was ever in band will have graduated...and that makes me feel OLD. (Not quite "olde," but close!!) I got to chill with Carie at the Mean Bean for a while on Saturday, and on Sunday I got to see the annual All-Horse Parade (which also includes marching bands and wagons and mules and such). I'm really glad that I live in a town small enough to have awesome community traditions like the Horse Parade. It's really kind of a big party...some streets even paint grids on the road and place bets on where the "refuse" will fall.

Today was something of an adventure. I got to go snorkeling in the pool at the rec center. We all had to prove that we won't drown when we go swimming in Ecuador, and then we had to try out the dive vests we'll be wearing, and then we all tried out our snorkels. It was an interesting experience. I am much more inclined to breathe through my nose than my mouth, even when I have a big old plastic thing in my mouth for the express purpose of breathing. Inhaling through one's nose only causes lots of uncomfortable plastic-suctioning-to-face action inside one's dive mask. This is going to take some practice. I also managed to scrape my knee getting out of the pool. FAIL.

And now for something completely different...
My sister and I tend to accidentally come up with ridiculous ideas and then just kind of run with them. This happened on Sunday during church. I don't even remember how it got started, but one or the other of us wrote a sentence on the bulletin in LOLcats format. (If you're not familiar with LOLcats, you can find them here.) We proceeded to come up with way too many more, all church-related. Here are some of the best:
  • I iz in ur pulpitz, preachin' ur gospelz.
  • I iz in ur font, baptizin' ur babiez.
  • I iz in ur choir, drownin' out ur sopranoz.
  • I iz in ur youth group, eatin' ur donutz.*
  • I iz goin' to the Promised Land. BRB.*
  • Presbyterian cat loves committees.
  • Presbyterian cat does it decently and in order.
  • I iz in ur art room, makin' ur crafties.
  • I iz on ur cross, dyin' for ur sinz.
  • I iz on ur committee, votin' for ur potluckz.
  • Pentecost cat lightz ur fire.
  • I iz in ur choir room, leanin' on ur bell tablez.
  • Youth group cat lightz Jesus candle.**
  • I can haz Communion?
  • I can haz daily bread?
  • Potluck cat guardz dessert table.
  • Mission cat talks about Nicaragua.
  • I iz in ur choir, messin' up ur descantz.
  • Acolyte cat lightz the bellz.***
  • Firefighter cat monitorz acolyte cat.
*At our church, "the Promised Land" refers to the Tim Horton's down the street more often than it refers to Canaan. (If you're not fortunate enough to be familiar with Timmy Ho's, it's a donut/bagel/coffee/sandwich chain.)
**We have a "Jesus candle" in the living room of our youth house. My friend Ben felt the need to buy a Catholic-style prayer candle from the foreign foods section of Krogers for our lock-in last summer. We don't question.
***Long story. A slip of the tongue courtesy of my friend Katie from about twelve years ago.

2 comments:

  1. OMG LOLPresbyterians!!

    You should totally attach those to photos.

    Maybe I'll make some for my dad and see if they can end up on a bulletin back home... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be awesome and I'd love to see them!!

    ReplyDelete