Sunday, August 14, 2011

BEDA Day 13: Doctor Who!

I'm currently watching Doctor Who with my mom. We're on episode four of Season 1 (meaning that which started in 2005, since that can be slightly confusing), the one called "Aliens of London," and I told her she's not allowed to judge the show till after this episode, so she'll have seen one set in the future, one set in the past, and a good one set in the present, since "Rose" is kind of a lame episode in my opinion. (I haven't told her that this one is a two-parter!) My mom isn't usually one for sci-fi or fantasy (it took me almost 10 years to get her to read the Harry Potter books), but she seems to at least be interested in it so far. Mom makes the fourth person I've gotten to watch the Doctor since getting the Season 1 DVDs for my birthday in June. The other three are my dad, my sister, and my friend Carie.

I keep forgetting that I've only been a Whovian for seven months, because in that time I've watched all of Seasons 1-5, thanks to my lovely friend Annika, as well as the first half of Season 6, which began in April and returns in 13 days! This all began because of Annika. When we were first getting to know each other last fall, she asked if I'd ever seen Doctor Who (she's absolutely obsessed with it), and I said no, but it was next on my list of things to get into when I had time, because I knew so many people who loved it. Then I asked if she'd ever seen LOST, which I love, and she said no, it had looked intriguing when it was first on and then it just looked weird. We knew we wouldn't have much time during the rest of that semester, so we decided to introduce each other to our respective favorite shows over Martin Luther King, Jr., Day weekend. We did, and she, unfortunately, thinks LOST is pretty dumb, but she's determined to finish the show one of these days. I, obviously, love Doctor Who!

I think I've always kind of harbored this hope that aliens were actually real, just because I love learning about and meeting people from different cultures, and I've always been really interested in outer space. When I was little, I really wanted to be an astronaut for a while. That idea disappeared when I found out how much math and science would be involved in that career path (I find scientific concepts interesting on a basic level, but I usually don't enjoy studying them, and I really love math up through Algebra 2, but not much beyond that). However, now that a handful of regular people have traveled into space, I can't help thinking about how awesome it would be to go as a civilian!

No comments:

Post a Comment