Tuesday, August 2, 2011

BEDA Day 1: Summer on Fast Forward

Look, it's me!! I remembered that I have a blog!!

As atonement for my grievous lack of activity on this site over the last 2.75 months, I've decided I'm going to participate in BEDA, or Blog Every Day in August. (BEDA was started by the author Maureen Johnson back in 2009 and originally took place in April, but August works too.) Yes, I know today is August 2nd. But I'm not that far behind and I'll go for a whole 31 days by blogging on September 1st as well, since I'm sure I'll have some kind of sappy, Hogwarts Express thing to type that day.

Obviously my world didn't come screeching to a halt the day after I graduated college. The fact that I've graduated still hasn't fully sunk in, because this summer feels exactly the same as each of the past three summers. However, my friends who have yet to graduate are starting to talk about heading back to school on Facebook, and I'm starting to feel pretty sad again.

I'm glad to say I've had a really good summer so far. I'll just kind of recap everything here and spend the next few posts talking about various elements in detail. I was a bridesmaid for the first time, in my best friend's wedding, and my car got attacked by the Whomping Willow. (Yes, those events are related.) I started working at an elementary school child care program, and all things considered, I'm really enjoying it. My sister graduated from high school, and last night I tagged along on her first round of college shopping. And of course, I've had lots of Harry Potter-related adventures.

I dubbed the summer of 2007, the one right before I started college, "the summer of Harry Potter," because the fifth movie and the seventh and final book were both release in July. At that time, I couldn't possibly have imagined any of the things I've done in the last couple of months. For starters, I went to LeakyCon 2011 and visited the Wizarding World of Harry Potter for the first time. I've been to four wizard rock concerts this summer, not counting the ones that took place at LeakyCon. I celebrated BAMFmas, also known as Neville Longbottom's birthday, with some of my newest and closest friends, which included destroying a horcrux at 11:00 at night in the parking lot of a movie theater with the sword of Gryffindor, which looked suspiciously like a light-up, inflatable lightsaber. And I woke up at 4:30 in the morning on Harry and Jo's birthday to register for the beta version of Pottermore.

All of these things and more will be explained in the coming days, and I hope you'll stick around for my first BEDA adventure!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm excited you're doing this! I don't know many people who are doing BEDA this month. But I love reading blogs. This summer has been VERY Potter-filled. I've enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great starting post! :-)

    ReplyDelete