Wednesday, August 10, 2011

BEDA Day 9: Rock, paper, scissors, kimodo dragon!

Not gonna lie, this BEDA thing is kind of getting old! I'm so tired when I get home from work, but I make myself do things to be productive for a while, and then I usually remember that I need to post something here right as I start thinking about going to bed. Oh well. I'm gonna stick this thing out if it kills me! (Not that I'm really expecting things to get that dire.)

I actually just realized how ridiculous it is that I made a whole post about weather yesterday, that quintessential small talk, I-don't-have-anything-else-to-say topic. Pretty sad.

Fortunately my kids always give me material to talk about. I sat with one of my favorite kids on the way to and from the pool today. His name is Andrew and he turned four in June. Shortly after we got on the bus at school, he looked at me and asked, "Do you know what cemeteries are?" I was very curious as to why he'd thought of this, since we were just sitting in the parking lot, I said, "Yes," and I was pretty sure he would give me his explanation. I was right. He said, "Cemeteries are a lot of rocks." I'm assuming he meant headstones, but this statement seemed to exhaust his interest in the topic. We then sang the Mickey Mouse Club Song five or so times, because he's been obsessed with it since I taught it to him on Friday as a distraction from something he wanted to do but couldn't.

On the bus on the way home, I sat with Andrew again, and he wanted to play Rock, Paper, Scissors, which we often use at school to settle disputes among kids. When I'm playing a game with a preschooler, I usually try to let him or her win, but there's absolutely no way to do that with Rock, Paper, Scissors! We were each winning about 50% of the time, but each time I won twice in a row, Andrew would say, "Why do you keep winning? I want to win this game!" I could tell he was really tired, and I tried to get him to settle down and go to sleep, which I usually can when we're on the bus, but he wasn't having it. Yesterday one of my co-workers (who was in marching band with me in high school) and I showed some of our kids the llamas we used to make with our fingers which were a complicated inside joke in the band, and then we started to make other animals with our hands, so I thought I'd try to distract Andrew with those animals. (For those curious, a llama is made by putting your middle and ring finger together with your thumb and sticking your index and pinkie finger up like ears.) I was trying to get him to make llamas, bunnies, fish, and other things, but he still seemed focused on Rock, Paper, Scissors. Then he said, "Rock, paper, scissors..." and put out his fingers like scissors, then turned them vertically and said "...bunny!" So we spent the rest of the ride back to school saying, "Rock, paper, scissors, snake!" "Rock, paper, scissors, moose!" "Rock, paper, scissors, kimodo dragon!" (That was his favorite, and it always ate up whatever my animal was.)

I love my job. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment