Tuesday, August 16, 2011

BEDA Day 15: Pancakes!!

Tonight when I got home from work I was very tired and hungry (as usual). My dad had picked up dinner on the way home so he could get outside and mow some of the lawn while the weather was good, since the whole job takes 8+ hours. My mom came home long enough to drop off my sister and then headed back out to a meeting, and my sister didn't feel very well. No one could go out to eat with me and I didn't want to go alone, we didn't have much in the house, and I didn't feel like eating Ramen noodles.

So I made pancakes! Real pancakes, from scratch, using the recipe from the red and white Better Homes and Gardens cookbook my grandma gave me last year for my birthday. I didn't burn any, my first pancaked turned out pretty well, and there were only two that had a slight layer of uncooked batter left in the middle. This was actually a major accomplishment for me, because I'm not much of a cook.

My sister has this, like, sixth sense about cooking, where she can just grab some random ingredients and throw them together without a recipe, and they're guaranteed to be pretty good if not amazing. It's nice when she gives me food, but it's kind of annoying too. (I won't lie, I often get annoyed when the random-and-impulsive method turns out better than the carefully-following -directions method. I'm such a Ravenclaw.) My parents are both pretty handy in the kitchen with anything moderately fancy, and my grandma can cook anything under the sun, and she taught herself everything she knows after she got married. I can make most things that come in a box with instructions for the microwave, and I can make one really good but really easy chicken dish that includes Swiss cheese and cream of mushroom soup. I can make pretty good banana bread, and I've finally mastered halfway decent scrambled eggs. I'm such a wuss that I'm pretty nervous to try frying an egg. So I was pretty pleased with my pancake dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment